Keller Mortgage, one of the fastest growing mortgage companies in the nation, is looking to add residential mortgage underwriters to their mortgage family.
Here are some of the benefits of becoming a Keller Mortgage underwriter:
- Exposure to advanced technology
- Growth opportunity as Keller Mortgage expands
- Rewarding experience - huge customer savings and the joy of homeownership
- Sustainable purchase mortgage environment
- Flexible schedules and opportunity to work from home
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Primary duties include underwriting complete mortgage files of a mortgage lender. Specifically, this position requires the exercise of discretion and judgment with respect to the approval and denial of loan applications and the provision of credit loans to our customers.
- Performing thorough underwriter reviewed pre-approvals within an hour of receiving documentation, including automated underwriting and requesting all additional documentation need for a full credit underwrite
- The Underwriter must be able to independently analyze loan files to ensure adherence to:
- Regulations and legal standards governing mortgage lending.
- Loan programs and guidelines, including superior knowledge of conventional, conforming, non-conforming, and government programs and guidelines.
- Legal standards including red flags, suspicious activity and ethical lending
- The Underwriter must have the ability to analyze complete files, including Borrower creditworthiness and ability to repay, appraisal validity, collateral valuation and worthiness, title policies, and property insurance.
- Utilize automated underwriting systems such as Desktop Underwriter and Loan Prospector in order to assist in the execution of the duties and responsibilities of the role.
- Compare automated underwriting to specific loan-file criteria in order to determine whether waiver or deviation from suggested guidelines may be appropriate. Exercise sound discretion in such a review in order to arrive at final decision or recommendations.
- Work with loan originators and production staff to acquire required documents in order to verify the income and employment details of the applicant, review the applicant's credit profile, analyze financial statements, and consider other information in order to act on loan and credit requests.
- Examine loan documentation for accuracy and completeness and determine whether additional information may be required in order to make a credit decision.
- Examine and analyze assets, liabilities, income and debt information related to applicants, in order to make a credit decision.
- Prepare counteroffer proposals for customers and direct team member on acceptable standards for such proposals
- Evaluate and review appraisal reports and collateral issues related to real estate in order to determine whether it may properly support the approval of a loan application the loan.
- Exhibit superior decision-making skills that are supported by relevant details and research.
- May provide training and direction to team members in order to assure clear understanding of compliance and lending guidelines, particularly with those intending to eventually serve in an Underwriter role.
- Develop and recommend modifications to underwriting and production procedures if the need exists or circumstances change.
- Prompt and exhaustive communication (via phone, text, email or fax) with various parties throughout the process.
- May respond to individual and investor audits.
ESSSENTIAL UNDERWRITER QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or related field is preferred.
- Previous (5+ years) of experience as an Underwriter or in the mortgage processing arena along with possession of a thorough knowledge of mortgage lending regulations and procedures as well as a working knowledge of underwriting guidelines and loan documents.
- DE and LAPP delegations preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of Fannie Mae, FHA, VA, USDA, JUMBO guidelines.
- Experience (2+ years) inputting data and reconciling LP and DU findings to ensure data integrity and compliance.
- Ability to accurately analyze and calculate income from various income sources including but not limited to hourly, salaried, commission, fixed income and complex self-employment.
- Encompass software experience preferred. Strong technical skills and ability to work in a paperless environment.
- Possess strong analytical and auditing skills along with a firm grasp of mathematical concepts.
ESSENTIAL PROFESSIONAL AND WORK HABIT QUALIFICATIONS:
- Highly motivated and organized with willingness to diversify and multi-task. Urgency is a must.
- Strong communication skills, both verbally and in writing, to fellow employees, customers and external vendors in a professional, articulate and respectful manner.
- Ability to communicate underwriting guidelines in laymen’s terms to customers and fellow employees
- Demonstrates the ability to handle delicate situations with diplomacy and tact.
- Detail oriented and organized with the ability to work on a variety of projects independently and within a team structure. Follow-through and responsiveness is also critically important.
- Able to prioritize projects based upon business demands in the midst of multiple requests from various entities.
- Possess a strong commitment to customer service and the adherence to deadlines and expected delivery dates. Again, urgency is a must.
- Express passion and desire to continuously improve their style and work productivity.